Wednesday, May 23, 2012

There is nothing new under the sun

I took a break from my studies to design my own nerf gun.

This was the schematic:




I thought this was something I could build from scratch.

It had a simple enough firing mechanism that would allow me to fire darts at quite a long range by storing the energy in the bow itself, rather than a spring (which I knew would be more complicated to source for). I also solved the problem that previous long range Nerf guns had- they lacked a mechanism that allowed for continuous firing- by putting an entire "magazine" of darts in the front that would advance to the next round by gravity.

This was a totally original concept and I was proud.




Once the exams were over, I checked out Toys'r'us to see what new products there were. To my dismay...



I didn't even tell anyone about my top secret designs...

8 comments:

  1. This is pretty good...add in some annotation, and you would become a pretty good concept artist/engineer(If you actually got around to making it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if I could keep my designs from getting stolen.

    Hehe thank you kev! How is your path to becoming an engineer coming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone always happens to have already come up with it before you or at the same time as you...
    I'm curious, did you plan to make one had you not discovered it at the toystore? How would you have gone about it?
    As for the path to engineering, I'll leave that up to your imagination...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did plan to make one. IT would be using plenty of PVC pipe. I was also going to consult my friend who is good at modifying Nerf guns for help.

    I can't imagine that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why would you modify a nerf gun? Can't you just use the gun?
    I saw the most stupifying nerf rip-off this weekend...a bolt-action blaster! I can't imagine why anyone wold possibly use one in a real nerf war, terribly impractical, and it could hold only two darts, was 1 and a 1/2 feet long. I understand the asthetics bt it just doesn't make sense!

    As for the imagining part, think of a whole list of scenarios that could happen for a person, no matter how absurd it may be, then pick all the ones you think could have happened to me, and from that decide the most plausible that could have happened to me since you last saw me and we'll see what you came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Combining the two topics...

    I've been using that very bolt action nerf rip-off, which you think is terribly impractical, as my weapon of choice for the past weekend. Can you figure why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete