Wednesday, May 23, 2012

There's something about the night

And about the thunder before the storm.

There's something about cold winds,

Nature,

And isolation

That calls to me.


I don't understand why, but I'm drawn to the night, to nature, to speed and to some sense of danger.


Last night, though it was thundering much like tonight, I went rollerblading down Punggol waterway after 9pm.

No one does that on a Monday evening.

I had gone on Sunday, but went again on Monday.

No one goes on a Monday evening.

Half the street lamps were switched off.


I climbed to the top of a slope that had 4 sharp turnings on the way down and went down without brakes.

I learnt that even padding cannot protect me from stupidity.


So here I was lying on the floor facing the red sky.

I fell quite hard when i didn't manage to make the turn at such high speed.

The wind was knocked out of me.

My left arm was bleeding, my right knee was numb, and my hips and shoulder hurt.

The flashing red light i wore on my waist had been knocked off too.


I lay there for a while, not caring what people thought, because there was no one around.

I didn't have my handphone with me.

I stopped bringing it since the time i fell on it while blading.


Instead of turning back, i pushed on down the quietest and most eerie park connector from Punggol to Sengkang.

There were no buildings nearby, just thick vegetation on both sides of the path.

Somewhere on my right beyond the trees was a river, and on the other side there were no lights.

I was on alert the whole time here. I felt the constant gnawing sense of danger.

I guess for the first time in a while I felt alive.


I don't think I was made for a comfortable life.

I'm drawn to a bit of danger as though it is in my blood.

I can't live in safety and feel like i'm living.

I feel like i'm meant to live for so much more.


That evening, I got lost, fell a few more times, and strained every muscle in my body.

I got home at 1.30am having covered 22.24km.




And that made me feel..

3 comments: