Friday, June 15, 2012

I was heartbroken a few minutes ago

I was at the coffee shop with my fencing friends having supper and celebrating Mei Lin's birthday with a cake. An old auntie was walking around selling tissue paper. On her first round I ignored her. But she later came back so I bought some tissue from her.

Later on she was sitting down at the table behind me, where the previous group had left many empty claypots after finishing their meal. I was getting up to go to the toilet when I noticed all the people at another table were staring at her. I turned around and saw that she was scooping the leftovers into a bowl and eating from it.

I sat down and my heart was so heavy.

Ian, who was sitting next to me, felt the same and said, "I'll make sure my parents don't end up like that." I finished my piece of cake and asked Florence to cut me one more slice. The fencers already had their fill anyway. Flo kinda messed it up and the slice looked more like a blob so I cut a big slice myself and topped it with a strawberry. Ian realised what I was about to do and pulled a chair out of my way.

"Hello Auntie, 这个蛋糕给你吃 ! "

She tried to say no, but I insisted that we had enough. I left it by her bowl so she could not say no. She thanked me and I gave her a little pat on the elbow, the closest thing I could come to giving her a hug.

As we were leaving, I saw her sitting at another table near the toilet. She waved goodbye and thanked me again. I waved back and smiled.

1 comment: