Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Dream Interpretation

My Sunday school boys were telling me about their dreams.

Ryan told me how he dreamt he got punched in his dream, and showed me the bruise.


Yes, he had a bruise exactly where he dreamt he got punched.

Marcus was shocked and commented that what happens in our dreams happens in real life, bringing up his own stories of similar experiences.


I replied by saying they could have been looking at it from the wrong direction.

Maybe it was not dreams becoming reality, but reality becoming dreams.


After all, Amas said he dies in his dreams, but not in real life.

(His dreams are often like first person shooters. I assume he respawns.)


So... Ryan with the bruise could have slammed his hand against the bed frame as he rolled around in his sleep, and this pain he felt translated into the dream as him getting punched.

That made sense.


But it still could not explain how Leon would dream of events that were yet to happen.

He was at a bike shop, fixing a bike for a friend who had just called that day, when he remembered his dream the night before in which he was standing at the exact same place doing the exact same thing.


This one... I could not explain.

5 comments:

  1. I believe the technical term in question here is Déjà vu(already seen). Perhaps it is the superimposition of the subliminal on the liminal life as a result of wishful thinking or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking so too. You know psychologist did manage to re-create the conditions that cause Déja vu in the lab?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, do you have a reference for that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://discovermagazine.com/2005/sep/psychology-of-deja-vu

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny, about two days ago i had a premonition that i would face off against a professor and someone advised me that i should make him pay for my university fee. Last night, i had dream where entered an elevator from a lonely world into a world where everyone was projected onto walls and were only a 'movie' and did not recognize us or respond. Then i went to the food court and i saw the professor and he challenged me. I made him agree for the 'scholarship' and then i faced off in competition where i had to use ice skates to travel in a straight line for a long distance without any initial momentum and one leg always had to be in front of the other and i wasn't allowed to change the position in any way. Miraculously, i did it and he gave me a cheque for ~216,000 pounds that one of my family dropped into food. the guy wrote me another cheque and then the dream secene totally changed

    ReplyDelete