Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Arachnophbia


Seems quite a lot of people are afraid of spiders.

Yao Ming's Meme is almost always used in response to spider appearances online.

I guess spiders look scary.


Oh look, a pretty lady bug! Wait... 


I'm not afraid of spiders.

Well, not particularly afraid of them.


I once used a toilet with a big (10cm?), hairy spider hanging above my head.

Back at home I keep a pet spider in my bathroom and see it every time I bathe.

It watches over me. But it's a tiny fighting spider.


Meanwhile in India...




In India, you eat spider.


This picture is a golden orb spider. It creates the biggest web in the world and can even catch birds. It can be found in Singapore and I came across plenty during my army stint, but they are only found in the more woody areas; There's just no space to build a 4 meter wide web in a HDB flat.

We didn't like seeing them in the army though. They were the size of my hand and venomous, and we really didn't want to be anywhere near them during field camp, especially when we had to stay the night nearby.

They say the average person swallows 8 spiders in their sleep during their lifetime.

If I really did swallow a spider, I'd really hope it was not this one. (Cuz if I swallowed a bird to catch this spider, that wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside, the spider would eat the bird.)


But in India, it seems this very spider is swallowed intentionally.

I need to level up before I go man...

1 comment:

  1. That would be in the northeast where they eat just about everything(especially Nagaland). In the rest of India, we eat more contemporary food.

    ReplyDelete