Monday, February 22, 2010

Déjà vu

Déjà vu (pronounced /ˈdeɪʒɑː ˈvuː/ ( listen)French: [deʒa vy]  ( listen), "already seen"; also called paramnesia, from Greek παρα "para," "near, against, contrary to" + μνήμη "mnēmē," "memory") or promnesia, is the experience of feeling sure that one has witnessed or experienced a new situation previously (an individual feels as though an event has already happened or has happened in the recent past), although the exact circumstances of the previous encounter are uncertain.


The experience of déjà vu is usually accompanied by a compelling sense of familiarity, and also a sense of "eeriness", "strangeness", or "weirdness". The "previous" experience is most frequently attributed to a dream, although in some cases there is a firm sense that the experience "genuinely happened" in the past.


Today I was at VivoCity making a stamp of my Chinese name when I had a Déjà vu moment.


Technically, it wasn't Déjà vu, but something even more uncanny.


You see I had already been there before, I had already passed this stall before, so that makes for nothing unusual as to recalling being here before.


But the last time I walked past this shop I remember I had a moment of Déjà vu. I felt as if I had been to this shop before, but I had not. It was a new shop after all.


So today as I was standing at the shop waiting for them to carve my name in stone, I was hit by the sense that I had seen this scene before- me standing at this exact location looking at the row of stone stamps.


It was the scene that appeared to me the first time I walked past this stall, the Déjà vu moment.


How could I have seen a vision of my second visit to the stall, the first time I passed it?


Was it really possible that I had a memory of the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment