Friday, March 30, 2012

"Not many places have this kind of vibe"


Remembering ECP McDonald's from Colourbars Media on Vimeo.

I never expected so much outpouring of sympathy over the the symbol of capitalism and westernization.

But I guess the Mac at ECP was more than that. It was a symbol of my childhood. It was where I grew up with my primary school best friends. It carried the memories of all the days we spent at the beach and on the cycling path.

And i feel sad.

One of the problems with Singapore's rapid development is the loss of memories.

Memories are much clearer when we return to the place we first experienced these memories.

But if we keep destroying the old to build the new, then are we losing our history?


Dad told me stories of his childhood growing up at Emerald Hill. But going there now, in the busy shopping district, I get no sense of the rustic childhood he once had.

I grew up in Marine Parade. I attended Tao Nan School when it had only 2 buildings, not 3. I went to the beach when there was a McDonalds.

I lived in my previous house before they added the extra room during upgrading.


Now when I go back to where I grew up, everything is different.

And I'm not even 24 years old, yet things have changed already.


What tales will I have to tell my children if all these places are gone?

How can I ever relate to them if all the places I played at when I was there age are gone?

It's sad because this place, like any place rich in memories, has a value beyond the material.


Thank you, whoever made this video.

Thank you for helping us remember our past.

No comments:

Post a Comment