Monday, December 6, 2010

RJC Invites

So what are the highlights of my very first fencing competition?

Well I beat some poor kids from Pasir Ris Crest today during the team event.

Then I caused my team to bomb out of the semi-finals, not just losing the huge lead we had over the opponent but also allowing them to pull way ahead.

And at the match for 3rd place I did badly too, handing the score over to our last anchor fencer 10 points behind the opponent who needed only 5 points to win.

The opponent team pulled up to 44 points, one away from winning. We lost hope.

Then Jasper finally scored a point.

And another.

And another.

And another.

And another. 

And another.

And another.

And another. 

And another.

And another.

And another. 

And another.

And another.

And another.

The score was up to 44-43, the cheering PRC student supporters were no longer cheering. Jasper took 13 consecutive points before finally conceding one to the enemy. That, was pure awesomeness.

We lost with dignity.


After that I lost my sabre. As in my sword went missing and I could not find it ever again. Daddy laughs at me saying, "What's a swordsman without a sword?"

A man at least?


Then the NUS women's sabre team took the Silver medal, with Florence the anchor fighting after running 21km at the Standard Charted Half Marathon this morning. That was awesomeness too. I was very happy to support them through the entire competition- cheering, helping them change wires and pray for them before each match and after it was all done.

Gracia and Bernice had to leave early so when it came to the prize presentation I decided to LLIWD.

When they announced the winning team for the women's sabre event, I went up with Florence to collect the prizes and the crowd went wild. The guest of honor giving away the trophy looked at me and asked, "Isn't this the women's event?"

Well that's why I won isn't it?

(I posted this out of context on FB and don't have the heart to tell people I didn't actually win. But ah well the people who really bother are those who read my blog so I'll just be honest here to clear my conscience.)



So thus ends the very first competition I've been to. I waved goodbye to all my new friends from Pasir Ris Cres shouting, "See you at Novices!" as our overloaded lorry pulled out of RJC. 

Novices is a competition in January for new fencers. Training starts on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment