Saturday, April 16, 2011

Labrador Park



It is beautiful. So well kept, so empty. I love how inaccessible it is because that makes it a quiet retreat from the crowds in Singapore. The best part is how the waterfront is blocked from the rest of the city by a low hill. So you can't see the city skyline.


I stood at the boardwalk by the sea. To my left was blue skies and white clouds. To my right was thunder and grey. I was in the middle of Singapore. The sound of waves crashing beneath my feet.


I find God in nature. I feel God in nature.


It's been a long 3 weeks of assignments. I just needed time off. So I came here to walk and pray.


They have a labyrinth here you know!

Anyway it began to drizzle.


It had to rain. Yeah. No cars stopped to give me a lift, though one family slowed down when i flagged the down, but I saw they had no space. So walking out in the rain, I got drenched when a car zoomed past me and splashed me with puddled water. Soaked until my underwear was wet.


But I don't complain about the rain. Because it forced me to look down when I walk. Coming in before the rain (it is quite a long walk in), I had my head in the clouds and felt the breeze upon my face. Leaving, I had the umbrella over my head, the droplets at my feet and my eyes the floor.


I'm glad I did. I almost stepped on this guy.




This is the first Cicada I've seen in Singapore. I've seen huge ones in Taiwan, and nymphs in Australia, all while on army missions.


Australian Cicada nymph wrestling.


This one was not small for Singapore standards, and had fallen and was crawling through the rain.




I picked it up, called it brother, and carried him to the shelter of a nearby tree. I was happily bouncing my way back when the car splashed me.

Well, the good Lord giveth, and the good Lord taketh away.


Oh I arrived in church early for Bible Study, but I missed the singing because I was so intrigued by a battle on the wall of epic but tiny proportions. A rainfly that had lost it's wings was struggling on the wall, clinging to a small ball of sorts. Then I realised that a tiny spider less than half of it's size was on it's head. I watched in amazement as the spider ran circles around this much stronger and bigger insect, tying it with more and more web so thin I could not see it. It was so amazing to watch, and I held my breath at moments, and cheered at others.

In the end, I realised that that ball the rainfly was clinging on to was another rainfly, totally covered by web. This spider was something.


How great is our God, sing with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment