Thursday, April 7, 2011

French

Yesterday I dreamt up having the gift of tongues.

I was suddenly able to understand French.

The doctors could not explain it.


Today in reality I was at fencing.

My French friend Dominique trained with us for the last time.

Florence came over and spoke in her bullet time singlish.

Dominique smiled and said she spoke very fast.

Florence responded by asking, "Don't french speakers speak fast too?"


Dominique responded by saying a line in French at bullet speed.

Florence laughed.

I translated the line for her.

They both stopped laughing and stared at me in shock.


I was not surprised Florence was surprised.

I had no idea what he had said, and neither had she.

There was no way she could call my bluff.


But I was surprised Dominique was surprised.

I had just made a random translation to fool Florence.

But Dominique told me I had translated it word for word.

2 comments: