Sunday, January 23, 2011

NUS Stage

I've been offered 2 roles at the coming chamber readings, in early March, put up by NUS Stage.

I was offered the lead male role in both the plays they are putting up.


Chamber readings are different from plays in that the emphasis is less on what is done, but more on what is said. That being said, there won't be elaborate sets and the actors will have scripts in front of them during the performance. So the narrative is propelled more or less just by the script being read.

Interesting huh?


You know... had this audition taken place 3 months back... I would have only made it for one of the plays.

The first play is a comedy, and the character I'm reading for is my age in uni and talks like Shaun Kia, so it was quite easy to pull off. It's how I talk every Sunday!

The second play was something different altogether...


Imagine Justin at this very moment, at 22 years of age, getting everything he ever wanted in life. That's right- in year 2 of uni, he gets married, and has a daughter. Then fast forward 6 years to when he is 28.

That is the character I need to play.


As I read the lines, I felt for the character. Somehow I knew what he was going through, and felt the weight and pain in his words. The deep emotions that filled me felt almost... recent.


I think I've been through a lot in the past 3 months.

Maybe this play is really what I need to put my excess emotions into.


I said yes to both plays.

We're performing on the 3rd and 4th of March.

This is one performance I think I would be proud to have you see.

1 comment: