Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I was on a crowded train

I gave up my seat to a girl reading a book,

For no reason other than she was a girl.

I did not make eye contact with her,

But stood up in a way that allowed only her to take my seat.

I wonder if she knew how difficult it was for me to do that.


I was carrying many things and my ride was long.

But more than that, people knew what I was doing.

Some stared at this strange guy who gave up his seat for a girl.


Eventually another seat was vacated and I took it.

Then another woman entered the train and stood before me.

I began to dispair.

I was trying to make a difference, but I was but one man.

I was tired, but got ready to get up.


Then suddenly the guy next to me got up in a way only she could take his seat.

He moved towards the door, but did not exit the train at the next stop.


I smiled to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment