Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Last Wednesday- Trailblazer


“Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us 
on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?” 
Luke 24:32b


Last week I was reeling from the impact of the sermon by Rev Moses Parmar.

I wrote about it last week, and it was at the back of my mind all week.

-:-


Sat down for lunch beside the tray return stand where Auntie Kim was working.

Shocked at our stupidity as students.

We packed the racks full of trays and plates, then started stacking them, and when they started falling over, left them on the tables beside the station. The whole place was a mess and Auntie Kim was working as hard and as fast she could. But how could she cope with cleaning the trays of the whole NUS arts canteen worth of students?

The irony was that the next tray return point a mere 15 meters away was perpetually empty, even though it was bigger than this one and had more than one cleaner.


When another tray fell from the rack, I went up to help pick up the cutlery and said I'll help bring it to the other station. Auntie Kim told me not to. "Let them fall," she said, "or no help will come."


I wished I could help, but she was right in stopping me.

What was the point? My effort is futile. Even if I manage to move enough trays for her to cope with the load today, what is going to happen tomorrow? This is no long term solution.


-:-


In sociology, there is a difference between social problems and sociological problems.

The social problem here is the mess in the canteen, or the inefficiency of the cleaners, or the stupidity of the students.

The sociological problem here is the structure and hierarchy that the system makes use of that exploits its workers that makes them do more work than they can and take the blame for failure.


The stress is giving Auntie Kim heart problems. She's going to resign.

If you really want to solve the problem, you need to tackle the root of it.
The structure itself needs to change.


-:-


This tiny example echoes the huge situation in India. We're talking about 350 million people oppressed far worst than this. If you cannot imagine how many people that is, it's the entire population of Singapore, with all its crowded trains and buses, multiplied 70 times over.


What hope is there?

What can one person like me do for so many?

Nothing.


But after hearing of the suffering of others, I cannot do nothing.

It's a sad paradox- I know I can't do anything that will make a difference, but I can't turn a blind eye to so many others suffering.


They need nothing short of a miracle.

Question is... do I believe in miracles?


Yes.


I cannot save the world, but I believe God can.

On Sunday I felt the call again, stronger than before, to go to India.

God is at work there, and I feel called to join the work.

This time, I have a general sense of where God wants me to be.


Let me use an object lesson to explain:

Take a look at the first minute, then you can fast forward to 2:15.


Incredible huh?

This is where I see myself, metaphorically of course.

The rainwater in the reservoir collected over the rainy season represents the developed world, including Singapore, with it's vast resources. The sea is the people suffering under oppression, like in India.

I'm the guy in the middle, digging a trench (like at the 1 minute mark).

It's a small trench only, but by the grace of God, it might help to change the whole environment.


-:-


In more specific terms, the best way for people to break out of poverty that we know of now is education- it's a long process but the next generation will not be as oppressed because they can stand up for themselves.


As with the tray collection point, I cannot be the one moving the trays, and here I cannot be the one representing them or the work will end when I stop. This is Batman's problem. He fights so hard, but after all those years, crime in Gotham is just as bad as (if not worst than) before.


So I shall be an advocate, an activist, and raise support for the people. Yes the locals are being educated and saved, and churches are being built, but they are so lacking in funds. And our money here goes a long way there. It almost does not make sense to buy a one room flat here when we can build a church there for the same amount, but I'm not saying there isn't a social structure to live by here too.


Maybe in God's sovereignty, I did not get into medicine or psychology. I'm now seeing the big picture with Sociology, and I'm sure God will use it. Along with my other talents he's given me like film making.


Well... it's going to be a tough life. But like Moses Parmar said, "I don't know what He is doing, but I've jumped onboard coz I knew it's better to be with God than against him."


And God himself says:

16 I will lead the blind by ways they have not known,
   along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
I will turn the darkness into light before them
   and make the rough places smooth.
These are the things I will do;
   I will not forsake them.  


 10 Who among you fears the LORD
   and obeys the word of his servant?
Let the one who walks in the dark,
   who has no light,
trust in the name of the LORD
   and rely on their God.  


It will be a lonely life. But if this be God's will for my life, then let this be my portion- I am willing to forsake all others for Christ who saved me and gives me reason to live on. The world behind me, the cross before me; No turning back, no turning back.




 21 The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached 
the thick darkness where God was.

5 comments:

  1. You can and will make a difference, never stop believing in that. It doesn't matter if you can only help one person, because it genuinely makes a difference to that person you have helped. You would, knowingly or unknowingly, not only help him/her but also touch the lives of those around him/her positively since no man is an island. Like the way a water body's surface ripples when you disturb it, the effects of your help will be felt. And as you make more ripples, these people whom you have helped would be able to make ripples of their own, too. I believe that helping on the whole is as much about the number of people helpers can reach, as well as how deeply helpers can reach each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear! Yeah I will help, whatever the results, and I pray that God will put me in a position my little goes the longest way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Justin, I just read this and I felt so impacted. God bless you and your conviction. Know that wherever you go, you will be blessed because God is with you! <3

    -Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cherie! For both reading and... knowing... where I'm coming from. Means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You helped me :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete